Wednesday, October 13, 2004

My Counter Strike: Source review

Valve sure has a wining strategy on their hands - bundle Counter Strike: Source with Half Life 2.

In case you don't know, CS:S is Counter Strike 1.6 (minus riot shields) redone with the source engine (the one that powers HL2). For those of you who don't know what Counter Strike is, well, I don't really have an answer for that.

Like I said, this is basically the same game as CS 1.6 - if you don't like the old CS, then you won't find anything to like about this one. The gameplay mechanics are identical. Which for the most part, is a good thing.

The one big change from 1.6 is that they tweaked the weapons a little. Also I hear that they changed the play hitboxes. Either way, the "feel" of the gunplay is definitely a little different. I like the change though - it feels like I have more control over my gun now.

The source engine itself is very impressive. It runs very smoothly on my p4 2.4, radeon 9600XT, 512mb RAM system. I doesn't slow down too much during the action - although the lag gets you sometimes. The textures are very crisp, and the shader 2.0 effects add a nice (if unnecessary) visual touch.

I was a little disappointed that the Havoc engine wasn't put to better use - it was so impressive in Max Payne 2. Ah, well, I guess it must screw up the netcode a little (havening to send the coordinates of all those things would add a lot to the bandwidth requirements.

The whole thing has a very polished feel to it - there are so many cool little things about it (like the incredibly detailed destroyable computers)

All in all - a great game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home